Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hawaii, Temporary Home

Whew it was hot in jeans and sweatshirts, especially in an open convertible!  First task was to get to the resort and change into clothes more suitable for the warm Hawaii weather!

Upon arrival, valets immediately greeted us with Hawaiian leis - orchids for me and kukui nut for J.  I paused for a moment as we walked into the lobby, taking a deep breath of the fresh island air, "Ahhh... vacation at last."

As J checked us in, I wandered around the lobby but didn't have to walk far before instinctively collapsing on one of several sofas in front of me.  The walls... didn't exist!  The sofa faced out onto the open air before me... with the most beautiful pools and beach I'd ever seen!  I sat, feeling the breeze on my face as I began to relax into my new temporary home. 


After settling into our room, we changed into island wear and made our way down to the pool for lunch at the oceanfront cafe.  There we were given a table directly on the waterfront, overlooking beach goers as we sipped island lemonades.  We ate slowly, allowing our stresses from the mainland to slowly fade away.... 

We leisurely made our way around the grounds, familiarizing me with the amenities of the resort and ensuring I could find my way to our room on my own.  (He's quickly learned how to manage my poor sense of direction.)  Our next obligation for the day was at the spa... for a massage (tough life?).  He'd booked a massage in the oceanfront hale as our welcome to the island.  

Completely relaxed, we stumbled from the hale back to our room to prepare for dinner.  Tonight we were staying close to the resort to try a recently opened restaurant called Monkey Pod.  Here we are, leaving for dinner.... 

Monkey Pod was a bust for food.  By far, our least favorite meal of the trip.  But, the conversation was great and the sunset view left us excited for the day in the sun we had planned for tomorrow.  

No comments: